9.30.2005

Safeway regains a little of my respect

Well I never. Safeway, of all corporations, has gone and done something responsible. They're purchasing renewable energy (including 78 million kilowatt hours of wind energy) to power their corporate campuses, their 15 San Francisco stores, and all 270 fuel stations.

And they're introducing a new line of organic foods. OK. Hmm...
It comes as a result of a summit held a couple weeks ago in Sacramento "to address California's obesity epidemic". Schwarzenegger himself baby-talked Safeway for being such an immediate responder to his "call for reform". Safeway is also coming up with several inane ways to "provide our shoppers more product choices and give them the tools to make healthier life decisions".
The ridiculously positive-sounding report is here, but I can pretty much sum it up for you...
  • Little pictures on Safeway brand foods will tell you how fat it's going to make you in an innofensive and therefore ineffectual way.
  • More 'special labeling'. Little pictures. All over the place.
  • Organic foods in California stores, where people will suddenly decide to them because they were impossible to find at other stores in California. *cough* Right... introduce organic foods... in California. As if the two haven't already met. Good lord.
  • "...An effort to provide a wider range of healthy food options to consumers in every facet of our store environment." Yeah. So that pretty much means putting a display of overpriced fruit leather than looks like cow tongue up next to the Oreos and Cheetos and when most people continue to buy the craptacular food, they can be like, "We tried. Oh well. Let's try again but give ourselves a raise first. Yeah, we must need to up the advertising budget!"
  • "Funding critical research and studies to better understand and improve consumer health and nutrition." Sure. No conflict of interest there. Just charity.
    Now if they could just pay someone to tell them that "ingredients for life" is an incredibly pretentious and stupid advertising slogan... Come to think of it, I volunteer. Safeway, you're stupid. And so is your slogan. I just plain don't like you. Working for you sucked and I hope you have an awful weekend.

  • 2 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    I counted two spelling errors and one left out word.

    I've never been partial to Safeway, but then they bought out the only grocery store in Palmer. Then a Fred Meyer's was built and I'd probably shop there more if I didn't buy groceries at two in the morning... Carrs is open 24 hours, Fred Meyer's is only open from 9:00 to 11:00.

    ELI said...

    I'm delighted that you're watching out for me and ridiculing my rediculous errors. But since I can't seem to find this left out word of which you speak, I think I'll claim to have meant it to be exactly the way it is.
    Safeway would be a better name for a sex shop than a grocery store anyway. Bastards.