12.24.2006

good words

First off, I'd like to share a bit of Damien Rice. These are selected lyrics from the song "Dogs" from his new album "9". Listen to the song. Really. It's good.


she lives with an orange tree
the girl that does yoga
she picks the dead ones from the ground
when we come over
and she gives, i get without giving anything to me
like a morning sun, good good morning sun
he lives in a little house
on the side of a little hill
picks the litter from the ground
litter little brother spills
he gives, i get without giving anything to me
and the dogs they run
in the good good morning sun
oh, and she's always dressed in white
she's like an angel, man
she burns my eyes
oh and she turns, she pulls a smile
we drive her round and she drives us wild
oh and she moves like a little girl
i become a child, man
she moves my world and she gets splashed with paint
and turns away and leaves me standing
she lives with an orange tree
the girl that does yoga
got a wolf to keep her warm
when he comes over
the girl that does yoga


I'm very much in the mood to fall in love.
On another note, here's a pretty amazing excerpt from the book I'm reading.
"The Mysterious Flame Of Queen Loana" by Umberto Eco
pp.346-352


One day we went walking through the hills. I had thought Gragnola was going to tell me about the beauties of nature, as he had done in the past, but on that day he pointed out only dead things, dried cow dung with flies buzzing around it, a vine infected with downy mildew, a row of processionary caterpillars that were going to kill a tree, some potato plants with eyes larger than the tubers, which were now inedible, an animal carcass in a ditch, so putrefied that you could no longer tell whether it was a marten or a hare. And he smoked one Milit after another, excellent for TB, he would say, they disinfect your lungs.
"You see kid, the world is dominated by evil things. Indeed, by Evil with a capital E. And I'm not just talking about the evil of man killing his fellow man for a few coins, or the evil of the SS hanging our comrades. I'm talking about Evil itself, the thing that rotted my lungs, that makes a crop go bad, or that lets a hailstorm reduce a man who owns a small vineyard and nothing else to misery. Have you ever asked yourself why Evil exists in the world, and especially death, when people like living so much, and one fine day death comes and carries them off, rich and poor alike, even babies? Have you ever heard anyone talk about the death of the universe? I read and I know: the universe, I mean the whole thing, the stars, the sun, the Milky Way, it's like an electric battery that runs and runs, but all the while it's running down, and one day it will run out. End of the universe. The Evil of evils is that the universe itself has been condemned to death. Since birth, you might say. So what kind of world is that, where Evil exists? Wouldn't a world without Evil be better?"
"Well, yeah," I philosophized.
"Of course, you could say that the world was born by mistake, the world is a sickness afflicting the universe, which even before we came along wasn't feeling so great, and one fine day the open sore that is our solar system appears, and us with it. But the stars, the Milky Way, and the sun don't know they're bound to die, so it doesn't bother them. We, on the other hand, who have been born out of the sickness of the universe, we have the bad luck to be bright boys and to understand that we're bound to die. So not only are we victims of Evil, but we know it. Cheery stuff."
"But it's athiests who say that the world wasn't made by anyone, and you say you're not an athiest..."
"I'm not because I can't bring myself to believe that all these things we see around us—the way trees and fruits grow, and the solar system, and our brains—came about by chance. They're too well made. And therefore there must have been a creating mind. God."
"So then?"
"So then, how do you reconcile God with Evil?"
"Off the top of my head, I'm not sure, let me think about it..."
"Ah yes, let me think about it, he says, as if the greatest minds haven't been thinking about it for century upon century..."
"And what did they end up with?"
"Diddly-squat. Evil, they said, was brought into the world by the rebel angels. Oh really? God sees and foresees all, and he didn't know the rebel angels were going to rebel? Why did he create them if he knew they were going to rebel? That's like somebody making car tires that he knows will blow out after two kilometers. He'd be a prick. But no, he went ahead and created them, and afterward he was happy as a clam, look how clever I am, I can even make angels... Then he waited for them to rebel (no doubt drooling in anticipation of their first false step) and then hurled them down into hell. If that's the case, he's a monster. Other philosophers had a different idea: Evil doesn't exist outside of God, it's inside him, like a sickness, he spends eternity trying to free himself of it. Poor guy, maybe that's how it is. But since I know I'm tubercular, I would never bring children into the world, because TB is passed from father to son. And yet God, knowing he's got the sickness he's got, is going to make you a world that at best will be dominated by Evil? That's sheer wickedness. And further, one of us might have a child without meaning to, might get a little reckless one night and not use a rubber, but God made the world because that's exactly what he wanted to do."
"What if it just slipped out of him, like sometimes pee does?"
"You might think you're being funny, but that's exactly what other sharp minds have thought. The world slipped out of God like piss slips out of us. The world is the result of his incontinence, like a man with an enlarged prostate."
"What's a prostate?"
"It doesn't matter, pretend I gave a different example. What matters is that the world slipped out of Him, that God just wasn't able to hold it in, and that all this is the result of the Evil he carries inside him—that's the only way to excuse God. We're in shit up to our eyes, but he's no better off himself. Then, however, all the pretty things they tell you at the Oratorio start falling like overripe fruit, things about God as the Good, as the perfect being who created the heavens and the earth. He created the heavens and the earth precisely because he was profoundly imperfect. That's why he made the stars like batteries that can't be recharged."
"But hang on, maybe God did create a world where those of us in it are destined to die, but say he did it as a test, to make us earn paradise, and therefore eternal happiness."
"Or burn in hell."
"The ones who yield to the devil's temptations."
"You talk like theologians, who are all in bad faith. Like you, they say that Evil exists, but that God has given us the greatest gift in the world, which is our free will. We are free to do what God tells us to do or what the devil tempts us to do, and if we end up in hell it's just because we haven't been created as slaves but as free men, and it just so happens we've used our freedom badly, which is our own doing."
"Exactly."
"Exactly? But who told you that freedom is a gift? In other words, be careful not to confuse things. Our comrades in the mountains are fighting for freedom, but it's freedom from other men who wanted to turn them into so many little machines. Freedom is a beautiful thing between one man and another; you don't have the right to make me do and think what you want me to. And besides, our comrades were free to decide whether to go up into the mountains or to hide out somewhere. But the freedom that God granted me, what kind of freedom is that? The freedom to go to paradise or hell, with no middle ground. You're born and you're forced to play a hand of briscola, and if you lose you suffer for all eternity. And what if I didn't want to play this game? Fat Head, who among all his evil deeds actually did a few good things too, banned gambling houses, because those are places where people are tempted and end up ruining their lives. And don't tell me people are free to go there or not. Better not to lead them into temptation. But here God has created us free and incredibly weak, exposed to temptation. You call that a gift? It's as if I were to throw you down that escarpment and tell you, Don't worry, you're free to grab onto some shrub and haul yourself back up, or you can let yourself roll down until you've been reduced to the kind of minced meat they eat in Alba. You might ask: But why did you throw me down when I was doing just fine up there? And I would answer: To see how strong you were. A fine lark. You didn't want to prove how strong you were, you were just happy not to fall."
"Now you're confusing me. What is it you believe, then?"
"It's simple, it just never occured to anyone before: God is evil. Why do priests say God is good? Because he created us. But that's precisely why he's evil. God doesn't have evil the way we have a headache. God is Evil. Maybe, seeing as he's eternal, he wasn't evil billions of years ago. Maybe he became that way, like kids in the summer who get bored and start tearing the wings off flies, to pass the time. Notice how if you think that God is evil, the whole question of Evil becomes crystal clear."
"They're all bad, then, even Jesus?"
"Ah, no! Jesus is the only evidence that at least us men are capable of being good. To tell the truth, I'm not sure Jesus was God's son, because it doesn't make sense to me that a good guy like that could be born from such an evil father. I'm not even sure that Jesus really existed. Maybe we invented him ourselves, and that in itself would be a miracle, that our minds could come up with such a beautiful idea. Or maybe he did exist, was the best of men, and said he was the son of God with the best of intentions, to convince us that God was good. But if you read the Gospels closely, you'll realize that in the end even Jesus realized that God was bad: he gets scared in the olive grove and asks, Let this cup pass from me, and zilch, God doesn't listen; on the cross he shouts Father why hast thou forsaken me, and zilch, God turns his back. But Jesus showed us what a man can do to offset God's wickedness. If God is evil, then at least we have to try to be good, forgive each other, refrain from doing each other harm, heal the sick, and turn the other cheek. We've got to help each other, seeing as God doesn't help us. Do you see how great Jesus' idea was? Imagine how much it must have irritated God. Forget the devil, Jesus was the only true enemy of God, and he's the only friend us poor wretches have."
"You must be some kind of heretic, like the ones they burned..."
"I'm the only one who understands the truth, but unless I want to get burned I can't go around speaking it, so you're the only one I've told. Swear you won't tell anyone."
"I swear," I said, tracing a cross over my lips with my finger.


Gragnola’s speeches left me sad. Not because I was sure they were evil but because I feared they were good. He lived in a world made sad by an evil God, and the only times I saw him smile with any tenderness were when he was talking to me about Socrates or Jesus. Both of whom, I would remind myself, were killed, so I did not see what there was to smile about.

No comments: